History of Saint Andrew

1953 Saint Andrew Parish established by Bishop Thomas K. Gorman. Msgr. Thomas S. Zachary served as pastor and celebrated the first Mass in nearby Bluebonnet School.
August 22, 1954 First Mass in the new church building celebrated.
September 1954 Saint Andrew School opened, staffed by Sisters of Saint Mary of Namur.
1956-1968 Msgr. Clair E. McTamney served as pastor.  During this period, eight new classrooms, a cafeteria and a convent were built.  The convent was occupied by the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth who had assumed leadership of the school.
1968-1969 Msgr. William J. Smyth served as pastor.
1969-1979 Msgr. Charles B. King served as pastor.  Parish was divided in two; a large southwest portion became Saint Bartholomew parish.  The school became inter-parochial.
1970 Parish Council was formed.
1970-1979 New library, science room, four classrooms added to school.  Former church auditorium became school auditorium.
November 30, 1971 Present church completed and dedicated, on feast of Saint Andrew.
1970-1979 A community center, gymnasium and nursery facilities were completed and eight acres of additional land were acquired for athletic fields.
1979-1984 Rev. Richard Judge served as pastor.
1984-Current Administration of the parish transferred to the Franciscan Friars, Third Order Regular (T.O.R.).
1984-1988 Rev. Peter Lyons, T.O.R. served as pastor.
1984 Food Pantry Outreach begins as Social Ministries
1989 Saint Andrew took back sole sponsorship of the school
1988-2008 Rev. Warren L. Murphy, T.O.R. served as pastor.
1996 Parish Hall built.
2008-Current Rev. Thomas F. Stabile, T.O.R., pastor.
2009 Kindergarten building built
2010 Parish Hall refinished and completed
September 2015 Parish Pastoral Plan Formulated
February 2016 Parish Master Facilities Plan Formulated
Current Capital Campaign underway for Phase 1 of Master Facilities Plan

The community of Saint Andrew considers itself a family, sharing stewardship of faith, service and gratitude with each other for the benefit of all. Many programs are financed by subsidies from the parish budget, thus eliminating the necessity of fees. This method of operation can only be accomplished through the generosity of parishioners. Presently, the weekend Mass attendance is about 2,500.

 

© 2013 - 2017 St. Andrew Catholic Church - All Rights Reserved.